Streetfighter Selling

for Sales Professionals

  • Oct

    You and I cannot change people’s minds about what the economy might do to them. Most of the time, they have to find that out for themselves. But here’s some good news: in most industries, you still have control. Control over the sales process….even if your prospect is caught up in the doom ‘n’ gloom of what might happen.

    I talked to a salesrep a few weeks ago who lamented that his industry was projected to be down almost 25% the remainder of the year (and I’ll agree that’s one heck of a drop!). So I asked him the gratuitous question “who’s getting the other 75%?” After the expected pause, he growled “ME….I’M going to get it!” I could just hear his attitude shift from fear of the unknown to that of the Sales Streetfighter.

    In turbulent times, gutsy salespeople turn up the heat on themselves. Here are five of their favorite strategies:

    -They balance their ‘customer portfolio’
    Customers who tend to move slowly, or are slow to change, are the most likely to cut back in turbulent times. Make sure your accounts and prospects are a good mix of slow moving and innovative companies so that you don’t get caught short.

    -They use time more wisely
    This is the time to examine your workday. Most of us start out well organized but, over time, we fall into ruts. Reading emails, visiting, paperwork and meetings start to consume a considerable amount of your time. Little things, like making phone calls in clusters (e.g.: 10 at a time) help us get a ton more done inside the workday.

    -They see more people
    Your customers will be getting a lot of phone calls, but you’ll be the one sitting in their office. Get busy.

    -They ask more questions
    Delays, objections and lost sales can often be traced to having insufficient information.

    And finally, They go for the close. Ask for the order. Nothing feeds into their hesitation like leaving the potential sale on the table.

    No Comments

About The Guertin Group

Visit to sign up for Joe's FREE biweekly email newsletter, loaded with news, tips and strategies to boost your sales career. As a sought-after Business Development Specialist, Joe has worked with thousands of salespeople, managers and business principals to change toxic habits and instill systems that get results.

The Guertin Group


View Joe Guertin's profile on LinkedIn

Be a Top Dog

Get this collection of solid tips and strategies, taken from 50 of America’s leading sales experts. This book is for anyone looking for proven and powerful ways to dramatically increase their sales in turbulent times.

Click here for details